DUROLANE is created using NASHA – an advanced patented process of hyaluronic acid (HA). It is a highly purified product produced without using any animal-sourced materials, ensuring that the risk of impurities is close to zero. DUROLANE is treated by the body in the same way as the body’s own hyaluronic acid and there have been no reported cases or instances of immunological or anaphylactic reactions.
DUROLANE is the only HA treatment for osteoarthritis (OA) that is based on NASHA. NASHA technology is the component of a number of medical products that use this unique HA and its properties to provide healthcare solutions.
- Because HA has a very short half-life in the body, molecular stabilisation is beneficial to increase residence time.
- The stabilisation process of NASHA results in less than 1% modification of HA where covalent bonds are created to link the HA molecules together.1
- The process uses bacterial fermentation to obtain a high degree of purity of natural HA.
- Potentially harmful components, such as proteins and endotoxins are minimised, and those of animal origin in particular, are excluded by the process.
- The natural HA molecule forms a highly viscous gel due to the natural entanglement of the long chains of the molecule.