There are certain factors that increase your risk of developing OA:
- Age. The older you get, the higher your risk
- Weight. Increased body weight increases your risk.
- Injury or overuse. Athletes and people with active jobs are at higher risk
- Genetics. Recent research suggests that knee OA is partially caused by your genes 4
- Muscle weakness. Weakness in the muscles increases your risk
Other diseases. Rheumatoid arthritis, hemochromatosis (having too much iron), and acromegaly (excessive growth hormone) increase your risk